Alsana Program to Treat Eating Disorders
More than 44 million Americans have a mental health condition as per the report of Mental Health America. The number continues to increase at an alarming rate. What’s even alarming is that it is commonly misunderstood and there is a stigma about it. More people prefer to pay more attention to physical health than mental health when, in fact, the two are equally important. There is a need to change the public perception of mental health. More so, there is a need to modify the healthcare system so as to tackle more about mental health and other conditions that could arise from it.
Eating Disorders Are Linked To Mental Health
The National Eating Disorders Association said that more than 65,000 females and almost 10,000 males in the United States have eating disorders. Most of them will develop anorexia and bulimia – two of the common eating disorders.
Holistic Eating Disorder Treatment
Alsana is a treatment program for eating disorders. It treats the underlying condition using an integrated and holistic approach. Alsana uses the adaptive care model, which comprised of a five-point approach – medical, psychological, nutritional, relational, and movement. This is to make sure that the client will receive holistic care.
Many men and women out there struggle with their own body image. With a whole lot of things going on, many eating disorders could be developed. Eating disorders are not just a result of a single factor. They are a result of a lot of things co-dependent with each other. This is why it is important to come up with a holistic and integrated treatment and management approach.
Eating Disorders – The Obvious and Not-So-Obvious Signs
The majority of people suffering from eating disorders are not aware they have it. Some are aware but are in denial. Not being aware of the problem hinders a person from receiving the appropriate and timely help. Hence, it is of utmost importance to know how to spot the signs and symptoms of eating disorders, including the obvious and the not-so-obvious.
People with eating disorders may display a combination of symptoms. Some people make efforts to conceal the behavior. Eating disorder symptoms are categorized into three – psychical, psychological, and behavioral.
- A significant change in weight, such as rapid weight loss.
- Menstrual abnormalities in females and decreased libido in men.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Fainting spells
- Low energy/tiredness
- Vomiting – related issues such as damage to the teeth, bad breath, presence of calluses on the knuckles, and swelling around the jaw/cheeks.
- Feeling cold even in a humid environment.
- Being too conscious of body figure.
- Preoccupation with food, weight, and eating.
- Anxious and irritability, especially during mealtime.
- Inability to control food craving.
- A distorted body image.
- A rigid thought about food categorizing it as good or bad.
- Seeing food as a punishment or source of comfort.
- Avoiding eating meals with other people. The person usually eats in private.
- Avoiding a particular food group such as carbohydrates and fats.
- Binge-eating episodes.
- Going to the bathroom frequently during or shortly after eating.
- Use of drastic measures to eliminate foods such as inducing vomiting, use of enemas and laxatives, and taking diuretics.
- An unusual change in dressing style, such as wearing baggy clothes.
- Exercising too much to the point of getting sick or injured.
- Obsessive food ritual preparations such as cutting the food into tiny pieces or eating at a plodding pace.
- Being too sensitive to comments about weight and body shape.
Treatment and Management Goals – Lifelong Recovery and Support
The society’s standard of beauty can greatly affect one’s perception of body image. There is pressure for everyone to be beautiful and one way of doing so is being fit. As a result, many body-conscious people would resort to dieting – including bad eating habits leading to eating disorders. Eating disorders are not a new thing. They have been around since time immemorial, but the way they look today is different. Eating disorders today are a result of suffering which can be linked with different factors.
Alsana’s goal is to find the root cause of suffering and develop a treatment and management plan that will not only target the human body but the mind and spirit too. Alsana targets not just one part of the body, but the body in totality. More so, it actively takes part in changing the people’s perception of mental wellness through the following ways:
- Alsana supports research and advocacy to increase the awareness of the general public on various types of mental health issues such as eating disorders and their severity. It provides client’s education including their immediate family members through the following:
- Alsana Webinars
- Alsana Support Groups
- Alsana Helpline
- Alsana Treatment Center Reviews
- Alsana created the Alsana Adaptive Care Model, which focuses on helping clients with eating disorders heal from a five-point wellness model approach.
- Psychological/Therapeutic – Alsana focuses on helping you understand the complexity of eating disorders and related influences such as biological, behavioral, and environmental.
- Nutritional – Alsana is all about maintaining a balance between nourishment and pleasure in a real-world environment in order to achieve a harmonious relationship between food and body.
- Medical treatment – Alsana focuses on strengthening the body to make it ready for recovery.
- Movement – Alsana is an evidence-based treatment that focuses on redefining the relationship with physical activity. The level of movement progresses as your body and mind heal.
- Relational – Alsana takes place in the recovery phase and its ultimate goal is to help, guide, and support you in exploring and growing your sense of purpose.
Alsana is all about an integrated wellness approach to healing from eating disorders. It means total health. True to its name, it treats not only eating disorders but the patient’s totality. It is not a one-sided treatment approach. The model of care is a representation of the client’s total healing.
Alsana is the leader in the treatment and management of eating disorders. It consists of medical and clinical leaders in the eating disorder industry so as to make sure that clients will receive a tested and proven effective treatment approach to eating disorders. Alsana’s team consists of:
- Internal medicine doctors
- Nutrition experts
- Exercise physiology and spirituality experts
The collaborative effort of these professionals paved a way to a tested, resilient, and innovative care model. Whatever your eating disorders are, be it anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, and other co-occurring conditions, rest assured that it will be well-taken care of. After all, it is what Alsana is all about.
- Client-Centered Care
- Evidence-Based Treatment
- Compassionate Care
- Holistic Treatment and Management Approach to Health and Wellness
Alsana guarantees that the clients will receive only the highest quality of care only from the best people in the industry. It is a healing community specially created for you. It provides three-level of care to serve you better regardless of what level you are in your healing journey. Clients have the option to choose:
- Alsana Intensive Outpatient Care
- Alsana Day Treatment/Partial Hospitalization
- Alsana Residential Treatment
It is one-on-one counseling with a therapist. It is designed to deeply understand the causes and thought processes behind the development of eating disorders and help the patients in learning new methods and skills to cope with the psychological effects of eating disorders. A part of the psychotherapeutic approach includes cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, and family-based therapy.
A significant part of recovery from an eating disorder is nutritional counseling. The patient has to learn how to establish a healthy relationship with food. A nutritionist and dietitian come up with a sustainable meal plan to help the patient maintain a healthy weight. A proper meal plan would result in good eating habits and a positive eating lifestyle. The ultimate goal is to help the patient develop an intentional relationship with food.
Eating Disorders Should Not Limit You From Living Your Life To The Fullest
Let the experts in eating disorders help you. Alsana Eating Recovery Communities supports you in every aspect of your health, treatment, and recovery. helps you find your balance, goal, and possibilities. Whatever stage you are right now in your battle against eating disorders and mental health, know that help is available. Alsana welcomes you with open arms.
Combining data-driven, evidence-based treatment with a fresh, compassionate approach, it focuses on total health and wellness in recovery from eating disorders and related conditions. A recovery community with five locations nationwide. We provide superior and committed care to help those on their journey to a healthy and successful recovery.
From the Latin roots meaning “all” or “total health,” Alsana offers a new philosophy of care centered on our patients’ full well-being. We address the aspects of eating disorders that often go untreated in traditional recovery programs.
Our culture is built on servant leadership, which places the client at the center of our model. We also focus on caring for and empowering our teams so they can equally care for and empower our clients.
Our culture creates a working environment of communication, collaboration, compassion, and integrity—all of which are necessary to craft unique treatment plans tailored to our clients’ needs and outcomes.
Alsana Eating Recovery Communities
Alsana is a judgment-free zone. It is a free, confidential eating disorder community wherein people needing help are welcome. Alsana Eating Recovery Communities Online provides easy access for those unsure if they are suffering from the eating-related disorder and need assessment resources, or need extra help and support from an eating recovery community. Alsana’s eating recovery community is not only for patients but to family members and friends, too, especially those concerned about a loved one’s eating behavior.
Healing Begins Here
Alsana strongly believes that healing happens in relationships. As an eating recovery community, it makes sure that people suffering from all types of eating disorders and co-morbid conditions, family, friends, and loved ones come together to receive and offer support, encouragement, and to build a community with one goal in mind – to promote healing. Healing Begins at Alsana.
Alsana knows that coming up with a decision to enter eating disorder treatment can be frightening and brings a feeling of anxiety and uncertainty. We take away your fears and replace them with hope. Alsana helps you find the right fit for treatment. If you feel like you need help, do not hesitate to contact us. We will welcome you with open arms as you begin your journey towards healing and hope.